February 22, 2008

Mothers...

The writeup below is by Erma Bombeck, whose book 'Motherhood - the second oldest profession', gifted to me by my aunt Yashodhara, made me cry every time I read it, when I was a new mother in the mid-1990s (wow! I have gotten past those tough times!).

There are ever so many writeups about mothers, but I find this the most touching. No, it is not mother's day or anything...I am just posting this here because I remembered Bombeck when my friend Sheel sent me another nice writeup by her. By the way, I don't believe in mother's days...in my opinion, every day is mother's day (or father's day, or friendship day, or whatever). The simple rule is to be nice to every one every day (but markets don't like these simple ideas!).

It really is very tough to be a mother, but it is also the most beautiful thing in the world. I am grateful I have had the opportunity to be one.
____________________________________
When God created mothers

When the Good Lord was creating mothers, He was into his sixth day of “overtime” when an angel appeared and said, “You’re doing a lot of fiddling around on this one.”
And the Lord said, “Have you read the specs on this order?
- She has to be completely washable, but not plastic;
- Have 180 movable parts... all replaceable;
- Run on black coffee and leftovers;
- Have a lap that disappears when she stands up;
- A kiss that can cure anything from a broken leg to a disappointed love affair;
- And six pairs of hands.”
The angel shook her head slowly and said, “Six pairs of hands... no way.”
“It’s not the hands that are causing me problems,” said the Lord. “It’s the three pairs of eyes that mothers have to have.”
“That’s on the standard model?” asked the angel.
The Lord nodded. “One pair that sees through closed doors when she asks, ’What are you kids doing in there?’ when she already knows. Another here in the back of her head that sees what she shouldn’t but what she has to know, and of course the ones here in front that can look at a child when he goofs up and say, ’I understand and I love you’ without so much as uttering a word.”
“Lord,” said the angel, touching His sleeve gently, “Go to bed. Tomorrow...”
“I can’t,” said the Lord, “I’m so close to creating something so close to myself. Already I have one who heals herself when she is sick... can feed a family of six on one pound of hamburger... and can get a nine-year-old to stand under a shower.”
The angel circled the model of a mother very slowly. “It’s too soft,” she sighed.
“But she’s tough!” said the Lord excitedly. “You cannot imagine what this mother can do or endure.”
“Can it think?”
“Not only can it think, but it can reason and compromise,” said the Creator.
Finally, the angel bent over and ran her finger across the cheek. “There’s a leak,” she pronounced. “I told You You were trying to push too much into this model.”
“It’s not a leak,” said the Lord. “It’s a tear.”
“What’s it for?”
“It’s for joy, sadness, disappointment, pain, loneliness, and pride.”
“You are a genius,” said the angel.
The Lord looked somber. “I didn’t put it there,”.

______________________________

*Painting by SUSILOWATI from Lo Ca√ĎaS. She is awesome!

7 comments:

Ramesh said...

Hi Sadhana,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the piece from Erma Bombeck. We also do not really beleive in Mothers Day--but still celebrate it to let our kids feel that they are not different from their friends---always insisting that every day is a special Mothers Day and Mom is Unique and special.It is lot easier to be a Dad and a professional than to be a fulltime Mom alone.Now add a busy career, other family resp. and voluteer work--That makes a mom's task GODLY. I see it every day and can only admire and appreciate. I am sure you can relate to this. If all men realise this truth there will be more harmony and mutual respect in our society .

Sadhana Ramchander said...

Very true, Ramesh...thanks for reacting.

Tojagal said...

This comment has been removed because it linked to malicious content. Learn more.

Gazal said...

i almost cried....

Shanthi said...

Hi Sadhana..

I know its really late in the day that I am responding, actually Harsha put up his website quite recently on Yahoo messenger. Nevertheless, its a wonderful piece about mothers. I find it so true to my mother and mother-in-law, but with a pinch of guilt I really do not know where I fit into this, my son is already 7yrs old, and I really do not know if I am so special being a mother.

Sometimes I wonder, what is it that I am doing as a mother which by husband is not as a father. Giving birth and nursing a child, are biological aspects of any female, so can I take credit for it? I don't think so.

Nevertheless, the feeling of being a mother....is too good and I thank god for it.

And finally, we do not realise the worth of our parents unless we graduate to parenthood, if only even as children we are as matured, then we wouldn't take our parents for granted.

Regards
Shanthi

Anonymous said...

Hi Saddhana,
I must say this is such a wonderful post. I am lost for words to describe my feelings after reading it. Its hard for men to understand to put themselves in our place-itsnot an easy job to domay jobs at a time ie; running a household,caring for the children,managing a career,and looking after a over grown child (in some cases its the husband). And I almost forget the ever grudging in-laws.
The last few days seemed emotionally over-whelming. I lost an old school friend of mine. Who committed sucide unable to tolerate the dowry demands. The media did make a much big adeu about this...each day I wake up seeing her face plastered across papers. But like in all cases there are two sides of the story. People are highlt opnionated. Men seeking dowry support the girl's husband side,blaming the vitim & her family. Then the rest of the people support the victim & talk about women's rights. What I fail to understand is when are people actually going to put an end to this violence?
All I can say is it is not easy being a woman even in this day and age. We do talk about about equal rights,liberalisation,and very other thing under the sun. But where is the justic???

Sadhana Ramchander said...

This is in response to the post by 'Anonymous': Yes, the juggling is really tough. You need a lot of determination to make it work. But things will work out...care and love are very important. Re suicides and dowry deaths, yes, the whole system is dusgusting, and must be abolished. My condolences to you...I do understand that it is hard to lose a friend, that too, in this manner.