July 15, 2009

Kabir

I always liked Kabir dohe in school. And one doha that I firmly believed in, and which always guided me, especially during my growing-up years was this:

Dheere dheere re mana, dheere sab kuch hoye
Maali seenche so ghara, ritu aaye phal hoye
(O mind, go slow; things happen at their own pace
A gardener may pour a hundred buckets of water, but the fruit arrives only in its season)


And now I am watching Shabnam Virmani's Kabir Project videos . While the videos are honest, meaningful and aesthetic, I wonder if it is because they deal with Kabir Das, and his ideas, which, now that I finished school (!) I realise, appeal to free-spirited and creative people. However, I must give Shabnam---and Shrishti school of art and design--- great credit for this research.

I was especially touched by 'Koi sunta hai', the video that intertwines Kumar Gandharva's life with Kabir's...both geniuses in their own right. Now I not only know the meaning of the songs in Nirgun ke gun, one of my favourite Kumar Gandharva albums, I also know how he sang them with so much feeling...it came from all the suffering he went through in his life, because of which he discovered Kabir.

Inspired by this video, I delightedly listened, on YouTube, to Kalapini Komkali (Kumar Gandharva's daughter; ah! she really sings like him!) and Bhuvanesh Komkali (his grandson).

And inspired by the Kabir Project, I also pulled out a book I bought a long time back, and began reading it. Written by Jaya Madhavan for Tulika, it is called 'Kabir, the weaver poet'.

Kahe Kabir suno bhai Sadho*!

(My mother sometimes calls me Sadhu!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hats off to you for showing the same passion for music of all kinds and revering the great composers and musicians of all schools.I am really proud of you,Sadhu.
You are introducing us to a whole new world through your blog.I always look forward to additions in your blog.

Ramesh said...

Back after a while! Glad to be back. ENJOYED your Kabir ka Dohe---it is my favorite. In fact just last week i shared it with my cousin and his family,(plus with our kids a number of times). Your blog is awesome. It opens my imagination window.How have you been ???

Ramesh

Sadhana Ramchander said...

Fine, thank you, Ramesh. Good to see you here again. Welcome back!