December 23, 2009

Telangana

K Chandrasekhar Rao of the Telangana Rashtriya Samithi goes on a fast unto death for the formation of a separate Telangana. On the 11th day of his fast, with violence and unrest mounting, the Center takes a decision overnight to 'begin the process of a separate Telangana state'. People are dumbfounded. Ministers and MLAs resign (100+ so far); people all over Andhra and Rayalseema start an agitation; Hyderabad is much sought after, much like Krishna caught in the fight between Rukmini and Satyabhama in Sri Krishna Rayabaram! Now the announcement from the Center that Hyderabad would of course be the capital of Telangana, simply because it is_in_Telangana.

Noise and unrest everywhere; unpredictability; disruption in normal life...the children have already had three unexpected holidays because of bandhs...oh, I pine for some quiet and peace.

I really do not know what to make of all this. Of course, the Telangana agitation is a very old one, so there really is no need for anyone to be surprised by this (as is the reaction of many, especially young people). Telanganas have been a downtrodden lot, and they deserve some resources and attention. But I am not sure if carving out a separate state is the answer, especially because I don't see a smart leadership. KCR has neither the strength nor the charisma; TRS fared very badly in the recent elections; so what are these jokers going to do, being in power, heading a state?

I am very much a Telanganite...well, half Telangana...my father is from Warangal and my mother from Bangalore. But I love my language and the culture I have grown up in. Telanganas are very large-hearted and simple people. They are not shrewd and smart...which is perhaps why they have ended up likes this. But then, I am married to an Andhra and I have blended well into Vijay's family. So I find it very difficult to shout "Jai Telangana". What for? Can't KCR and company ask for a better deal without a separate state? Maybe not, when I see the thugs who are running this state.

I'll stay out of the politics. I just feel very sad that this is happening. I basically hate partitions. I still feel sad about the India-Pakistan partition. Nothing to do with the shape of the map or anything, but the whole idea of a separation. Does it have to be this way?

We wait and watch as events unfurl before us...but I do feel that 2009 has been very bad for AP. The elections with the unexpectedly disgusting results (Congress won by a huge majority); YSR's gory end; the no-rain, then too-much-rain-and-flooding where hundreds of people lost their lives. And now this unrest all over the state.

It has also opened a pandora's box, and the effect is showing in many other parts of India too. And all this when we, as human beings, should come together with just one agenda: not to abuse the Earth further...

This, I am told, is being idealistic, and it is not good to be this way

______________________________
2 comments:

Harsha Koda said...
The 4-walls or the compound wall or state's border is another way of 'restricting entry'... not about better lives for the people who are enclosed within...

... thank god for Doors, and gates... people will always find a way to get to the other side.

When the whole world (starting from the unification of Europe) is looking at 'getting together' as solution to problems... we are looking at 'splitting' for problems
4:25 AM, December 14, 2009

Sadhana Ramchander said...
Politics...and vested interests. And a confused leadership above. The whole thing is ridiculous. Do hope things will settle down soon.
4:56 AM, December 14, 2009

1 comment:

Prakash said...

Harsha Koda, where were you (or your ilk) when India's first & foremost seperatist Potti Sriramulu built walls with TN on linguistic grounds.

BTW EU is a consolidation effort, not unification.

Sadhana, maybe we are better off with "jokers" (as you called TRS) than the "thugs" (as you called the Congress rulers).

I don't know whether Rukmini or Satya has greater claim on Krishna. But Hyderabad belongs to Telangana, period.