March 01, 2010

What's with these girls?

This disturbs me a great deal. Why are girls increasingly wearing these masks? I first spotted this bandit-queen attire in Baroda and Ahmedabad in 2007, and wondered why girl-scooterists there covered themselves thus. I asusumed it was a Gujju-ism...even so, wouldn't it be better to wear a helmet with a visor instead of this stuffy costume? At least it would protect their heads in case of an accident.

Soon, this spread to other cities...Hyderabad included. And it is not typical only of scooterists; even girls walking on the road dress like this. I recently saw a whole group of friends dressed like this in the railway station. They also wear gloves and cover their arms completely...

WHAT'S WITH THEM? Stop doing this girls!! :((

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think it is to do with pollution and it's affects on human aesthetics? I do agree that it doesn't really protect them like a helmet would.

Sameer S said...

I'd assume, if I were to spot a woman wearing that, that she was attempting to avoid pollution, though I guess you are seeing only women motorists do this, and not the men?

I'd be curious to know too, what's going on -- is it for women to protect their complexion? Is it some kind of protest?

Sadhana Ramchander said...

Anon and Sameer: Lots of reactions to this on Facebook...I conclude that it is for protection---from the sun and pollution, and from eve-teasers, apparently. And some do this so they can be incognito...somewhat like the burkha. I still don't understand, though. I've driven a scooter all my life, and never felt the need for anything apart from a helmet! Well, things change from generation to generation.

jyothisethu said...

let it be anything...
the blog, pictures everything interesting...
you are a very good photographer...