April 09, 2011

All Day I Dream About Sports!

These are excerpts from my friend Upendran's article, "What happened to my canvas shoes?", published in the September 2009 issue of Teacher Plus. I reproduce these facts here because I find them very interesting and want to keep this info in my blog. This is about how Adidas, Nike and Reebok got their names.

Adidas: Quoting Upendran, "There was a time when people believed that 'Adidas' was an acronym for 'All Day I Dream about Sports' (I did too, and was rather angry when he busted this myth!). Of course, some people thought that the 's' stood for something else: sex! Neither story is true. The founder of Adidas was a German named Adolf Dassler; nicknamed 'Adi' by his friends..."
So Adidas is a combination of Adi, his nickname, and Das from Dassler! Nothing to do with dreams or sports...too bad!

Nike: This name comes from Greek mythology, where the goddess of victory was called Nike. So by naming the shoes after the goddess of victory, Phil Knight, the Chairman of Nike, was suggesting that any athlete who wore his brand was assured of a place on the victor's podium.

Reebok: This company was started by Joseph William Foster. A 'rhebok' is spelt 'Reebok' in Afrikaans, and is a type of antelope or gazelle known for its amazing speed. Reebok was the first company to make running shoes with spikes and sports shoes for women.

You can read Upendran's article here.

No comments: