January 03, 2013

My favourite music - 3


What a wonderful world by Louis Armstrong,
[written by Bob Thiele (as "George Douglas") and George David Weiss]

I really don't have any words to describe the beauty and simplicity of this song. All I know is that it touches me deeply, as it did, millions of others, and I also know that I feel the same way about nature and sometimes, life. We need this song of optimism today. 

Some background to this song, from Wiki: It was first recorded by Louis Armstrong and released as a single in 1967. Intended as an antidote for the increasingly racially and politically charged climate of everyday life in the United States, the song also has a hopeful, optimistic tone with regard to the future, with reference to babies being born into the world and having much to look forward to.

Also watch: David Attenborough's What a wonderful world 
Shared by my friend Kamakshi on Facebook, this is a charming ad for the BBC channel, with stunning visuals. And Attenborough - ah, what a wonderful man!

Here are the lyrics:

What a wonderful world

I see trees of green...red roses too
I see em bloom...for me and you
And I think to myself....what a wonderful world.

I see skies of blue...clouds of white
Bright blessed days...dark sacred nights
And I think to myself...what a wonderful world.

The colors of the rainbow...so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces...of people going by
I see friends shaking hands...sayin.. how do you do
They're really sayin...I love you.

I hear babies cry...I watch them grow
They'll learn much more...than I'll never know
And I think to myself ...what a wonderful world
Yes I think to myself ...what a wonderful world.

***



No comments: