August 27, 2015

Two people and two milestones

High above the sky stands Swarga, paradise, abode of the gods. 
Still above is Vaikuntha, heaven, abode of God. 
The doorkeepers of Vaikuntha are the twins, Jaya and Vijaya, 
both whose names mean, 'victory'. 
One keeps you in Swarga; the other raises you into Vaikuntha. 
In Vaikuntha there is bliss forever, in Swarga there is pleasure 
for only as long as you deserve. 
What is the difference between Jaya and Vijaya? 
Solve this puzzle and you will solve the mystery of Mahabharata.

Devdutt Pattanaik in "'Jaya': An illustrated retelling of the Mahabharata"

***

 My mother is Jaya and my husband is Vijay. My mother has always fiercely protected me, especially during my growing up years when I was not exactly in the best of health. Her positivity was almost forceful and sometimes unrealistic. But someone, somewhere listened, and I crossed the speed breakers one after another and came this far. She still stands by my side and protects my family and me with the same faith and positivity. I have imbibed these qualities from her, but I feel many a time, that I am not as brave as she is.

Vijay has been by my side for 27 years, although I have known him for 30. Steady, patient, kind, mature...he gives me the emotional security I need, to handle the various roles I have chosen to play. I have learnt much from him, and the journey has been interesting and enlightening - with many a spicy fight thrown in - for better or worse.

Another thing common between the two of them, apart from their names, is that they are both karma yogis. Being there for everyone around them, not desiring anything for themselves. Both brilliant, yet unambitious.

And this is a milestone year for both. My mother is 80, and Vijay is 60. 

I am not flattering myself, but when I read Pattanaik's description, I felt really special, fortunate and protected!

After all, how many people have a mom called Jaya and a husband called Vijay? How cool is that!

And how many people have a mom like Jaya and a companion like Vijay?!

Thank you, ma.
Thank you, Vijay...
for being who you are. 

I confess, I would be just a paper tiger without your support.

Many more birthdays to you...wish both of you everything you desire (read: more people to help), and (in the process) plenty of joy and happiness. 


7 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Very nice post Sadhana! How lucky to have two strong supporters and protectors in your life! Best wishes to both on this special birthday.
-shashi

Chaitan Baru said...

Sadhana, indeed you are blessed to have such loving support in your life. And especially to have one of my best buddies, Vijju, as your husband! Cheers!
---chaitan

Geeta said...

You are blessed Sadhana,not only by Jaya and Vijaya but my Mala and Raga

jaya said...

Dear daughter, I am overwhelmed at your write up.I am truly blessed to have a daughter like you and a son in law like vijay.I am short of words to express my feelings.My heart will speak for me.A parent cannot expect anything more from a child.I can only say May God bless you both and your daughters.

Prabha said...

Nice thoughts, Sadhana. A little different from your usual, can I say? I wish for them to be in your life forever :)

Sadhana Ramchander said...

Thank you, Shashi, Chaitan, Geeta, Prabha, and Mummy.

This was heartfelt, and I believe it is important to tell people what we feel, especially when it is good.